Thursday, February 11, 2010

You Need Volunteers For What???

Annie here, just thought I give an update. This was too funny not to share.
So for Spring Break next month I'm going to Florida to visit my friend who works at Disney World. I've been seeing those commercials from Disney about a "Give a day, Get a day," where you give a day of volunteer service and get a ticket to a Disney park for free. Well, I'm always looking to save money so I decided to check out the website and see what kind of things they had going on in Utah. One caught my eye right off. It was a service day out in Vernal. My family is going out there this weekend so I thought if they were doing it this weekend I could go do some service and see some family at the same time. But then I started having flash backs of picking up rocks and pulling weeds out in Vernal and I didn't want to do that kind of service. But I clicked on more details just to see what it was. This is what it said:
Opportunity Name: Hair Pulling at Utah Fieldhouse of Natural History State Park Museum -- Vernal, Utah
Opportunity Description:

Volunteers are needed to pull hair! Pull hemp to make hair for the museum's Woolly Mammoth. Volunteers can also remove old hemp from the mammoth.

Yes the Woolly Mammoth needs re-hairing!! I believe that this is the actual Mammoth.
I of course emailed them immediately asking when this was taking place crossing my fingers and hoping it was this weekend. Unfortunately it makes such a mess that they have to wait until it gets warmer so they can do it outside so its not taking place until April, long after my trip. I was quite disappointed but maybe I'll go out in April and help just for fun, so that I can say I re-furred a Woolly Mammoth.
I couldn't find anything remotely as interesting as that to volunteer for so now I'm just making scrapbook pages for orphans in Haiti. Why they need scrapbook pages I don't know but it is simple and easy so I signed up. Its getting me a free ticket to Disney World!!

4 comments:

Quinn and/or Lauralee said...

Scrapbook pages for Haitians makes no sense whatsoever. And I thought that re-furring a fake mammoth would be the weirdest thing you mentioned.

TheRocks said...

Wow, who would of thought a wooly mammoth would need refurring? Wish I could go with you to FL!
Carly

Anne Van Bibber said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anne Van Bibber said...

Carly you can come just pay your own way and half the hotel!