Tuesday, March 23, 2010

DO I HAVE THE MOST TALENTED HUSBAND OR WHAT?? CHECK OUT OUR NEWEST DIY PROJECT

So, last summer at the height of my "you watch too much HGTV" phase, I kept looking at this heavy-as-a-son-of-a-gun, solid oak, army issue file cabinet that we have had in the corner of our mismatched, hand-me-down, sorry excuse for a bedroom for the last 20 years wondering what could I (translated Bryan) do with this???

Well, the answer came - nightstands!!

My dad had given us this file cabinet years and years ago after it had spent considerable time in his insurance office and/or his garage. It has served us well in the corner of the bedroom, but it really needed a face lift, especially since we were using two mismatched, hand-me-d0wn, sorry excuse for nightstands.

So here are the BEFORES



Okay, Anne gets her turn too.

And yes it had four fully functioning file drawers, but believe me I was not putting them back in the cabinet just for this picture.



So Dad, is this all you got when you were discharged from the army? This is what is on the back of the file cabinet.

Okay, I thought, now the hard part - convince Bryan that this really wasn't such a harebrained idea. No kidding, he didn't even say "are you kidding" or nothin'. He just thought a bit on it, as you know only Bryan can do, and said "I can do that!" I could not believe he agreed to it

So after many, many months of sawing, nailing, gluing, stripping, staining, polyurethaning, etc. we have nightstands to put next to the wonderful headboard he made us last year!!

And now, the moment you (AND I) have been waiting for since sometime last summer ---

Here is one of the two finished nightstands he made for us. Is he fabulous or what???

And now the AFTERS:

He sawed (that sounds weird doesn't it?) the original file cabinet in half, made a new bottom for one stand and a new top for the other and then trimmed them both so beautiful. He made new drawers with up to date hardware (gone is the dark green heavy metal really awful hardware and file drawer of the past) using the original drawer fronts with new handles. They really are gorgeous. Stop by and I'll hurry and make the bed and show them to you.

TA-DA! Here is the finished project next to my bed lookin' all purty! (There's one on Bryan's side too, but I won't show you that. (Sorry the picture's dark)

2 comments:

Anita Wahlstrom said...

Wow Manja - I am impressed!!!!

Colleen said...

WOW AMAZING!!