Thursday, March 6, 2008

Taylor's Great Skiing Adventure


Hey, it's me, Taylor! I've got a fun adventure to tell you about!

Last night our Young Men and Young Women went up to Wolf Mountain (for you old folks: Nordic Valley) night skiing and snowboarding. We met at the church around 4:00 PM and gathered everybody up. After everyone was shoved into a car we headed up the canyon where we saw a momma moose down in the river for a drink. I was stuck in the back of a Ford Excursion with two beehives and unfortunately they beat me at the game of corners. We finally made it up there with no problems except a few wrong turns but we made it.

Most of the people that came brought their own skies and boards but a few people had to rent. After we got skies and lift passes we headed up the mountain. My first run was pretty easy. I stayed to the greens (the easiest run) and progressed up to the black diamonds (the most difficult). I had only fallen once, and it was because I stopped too fast and leaned too far. I was so embarrassed because I fell in front of a group of girls. After a couple of pretty good runs, and some races, I decided I wanted to go the terrain park and get some "sick bird"! (sweet air). I took a few runs just doing some small jumps and decided to go up to the top of a big one and GLIDE down the other side. Before I went down the slope, I had a feeling that I should not wrap my pole straps around my wrists, but just slip them over my hand. I was doing really well but as I was approaching a bigger jump I was going a little too fast. I thought the steep incline would slow me down--but it didn't! I flew right over the top and got a LOT of "SICK BIRD". I closed my eyes and knew that the landing wasn't pretty! I landed hard and fell on the ice hitting my head pretty hard. My skies came off and my face mask slipped up over my eyes so I couldn't see and I thought "maybe I'm blind!!". A couple of people stopped to asked if I was okay, because I was just lying there, and then a ski patrol guy came by and said "Are You Injured?" I said no, I'm good, so then he just yelled, "Then, Get Out Of the Way!" so I grabbed my skies and slid over the side of the run and laid there for awhile. A couple minutes later, I got up and put my skies back on, and skied off to the lodge. I told the Young Women's President what went on. and about 15 or 20 minutes later Anne and her friend, Katarina, The Athletic Trainer Want-To-Be's, checked me out, and did the base test for a concussion. One of my pupils was bigger than the other, so they were a little worried about me. I sat around for about another 20 minutes waiting for "Nan the Nurse", one of the Young Women's Presidency to stop running into people, falling off the lift and shutting it down forever, and getting pulled off to the side by the Ski Patrol so they could see if she was drunk and threaten to take her pass away because she was skiing too fast. (Sorry about the run-on sentence) Anyway, Nan the Nurse checked me out and told Anne to have my parents wake me up every three hours through the night to check if I was acting weird or anything. So, my mom took the first shift at 1:00 am and then my dad came in at 4:00 am, and I was still alive so they were relieved they didn't have to get dressed and take me to the ER to get zapped with radiation or something with a CAT scan.

So there's my story of my almost concussion! I'm getting a helmet for the next ski season!


No comments: